Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec’s Environmental Services Practice is looking for a Team Leader to join our Acoustic, Noise and Vibration (NVA) team. This opportunity is located in our GTA office locations (Mississauga, Toronto or Markham). Our NVA practitioners provide specialized services to a wide variety of sectors including industry, government, architecture, transportation, and buildings. The NVA team offers a full suite of services including permitting, monitoring, modeling, planning, policy studies, design, and control.
Stantec’s GTA team of NVA practitioners has grown significantly in the past few years, both in terms of staff as well as reputation. This group is considered a Center of Excellence in noise, vibration, and acoustics for all of Stantec North America and continues to support Stantec in all sectors and markets.
The NVA team has a group of highly qualified senior staff, led by the Canadian Technical Lead. They are supported by additional intermediate and junior technical staff, as well as other supporting acoustic practitioners in Ontario.
As the NVA group continues to grow, there is a need for a Team Leader to manage, organize and support this team.
Your Key Responsibilities
As the NVA Team Leader for the GTA, it will be your responsibility to oversee the staff in the GTA. This includes reporting directly to both the Physical Environmental Lead for administrative purposes, and the Canadian Technical Lead for technical support.
This operational role will involve the following key responsibilities:
- All GTA staff to report to the team leader, related to technical project work. The GTA Team Leader must be able to oversee all projects within Environmental Noise, Transportation Noise, Vibration, Building Acoustics, Measurement & Monitoring, including their various sub-categories.
- Responsible for all small to medium sized projects (under $100k) completed by the GTA team, including technical quality and reviews, schedules, and budgets. This includes preparing or approving proposals for these projects.
- Responsible for noise and vibration equipment, including delegation of responsibility to staff. This includes equipment calibrations, repairs and replacement, and preparing annual budget requests for new equipment purchases. This also involves ensure all equipment recovery fees are collected for field work carried out by the GTA team.
- Coordination of all project workload within the GTA team, including consideration for field work, analysis and modelling, and reporting.
- Acting Project Manger and Technical Lead on large projects (over $100k), within your area of specialty.
- Reporting backlog to senior management on a monthly basis.
- You will be required to complete all internal Stantec training to become a registered Quality Reviewer (QR) and Independent Reviewer (IR) for noise, vibration and acoustic project work.
- You will be required to complete all necessary Stantec training to come a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in noise, vibration, and acoustics.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
Only candidates with direct experience managing technical teams will be considered:
- Experience in managing small (3-5) or medium (5-10 ) technical engineering teams for no less than 2 years, with preferred 5 years of team management
- Understanding of workload management, technical deliverables including scheduling and budgets
- Requires skills with intervention and conflict resolution related to GTA staff and projects, including both internal and external to Stantec. This may involve intercession on behalf of staff with Stantec project managers and other internal technical staff, clients, and stakeholders.
Must have familiarity and direct project experience in the following:
- Environmental Noise, including Land Use Development & Planning; Acoustic noise modeling; Blasting noise and vibration; Construction noise and vibration; Facility noise and vibration; Occupational noise and vibration; Soundscaping; Wind and solar farm noise; Underwater noise
- Transportation Noise, including Airport and aircraft noise; Marine and port noise; Road traffic noise; Rail, light rail and subway noise
- Building Acoustics, including Acoustic modeling; Architectural acoustics; Buildings and spaces; Mechanical and electrical noise and vibration control; Speech intelligibility for public address and audio systems
- Vibration, including Building vibration; Bridge vibration; Floor vibration; Rail, light rail and subway vibration; Vibration condition monitoring
- Measurement and Monitoring, including Construction noise and vibration long-term monitoring; Noise and vibration long-term monitoring; Noise and vibration measurements; Occupational noise surveys
Familiarity and direct working knowledge of the following is required:
- Familiarity with data acquisition practices and software
- Experience with sound and vibration measurement instruments and modeling software (e.g., CADNA/A, TNM, Stamina, STAMSON, etc.)
- Working knowledge of software (e.g., Microsoft Office and Teams, CAD, etc.)
- Experience with programming languages (e.g. Matlab, Python), would be an asset.
In addition, you must demonstrate:
- Experience in working in a team environment and communicating with external clients
- Creative, organized, and able to multi-task while working independently
- Excellent communication skills (both oral and written)
- Diligent and detail oriented
- A valid driver’s license is required
Education and Experience
Minimum 10 years (20 preferred) of qualified experience in acoustic, noise and vibration engineering in the consulting environment
Graduate of an accredited university or college is with a major in Engineering or Science is required
Registered the Professional Engineer of Ontario, or able to become registered, is an asset
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.
Job: Environmental Engineer
Primary Location: Canada-Ontario-Mississauga
Other Locations: Canada-Ontario-Toronto, Canada-Ontario-Markham
Employee Status: Regular
Job Level: Manager
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time
Req ID: 2100004A
Stantec provides equal employment opportunities to all qualified employees and applicants for future and current employment and prohibit discrimination on the grounds of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression. We prohibit discrimination in decisions concerning recruitment, hiring, referral, promotion, compensation, fringe benefits, job training, terminations or any other condition of employment. Stantec is in compliance with local, state and federal laws and regulations and ensures equitable opportunities in all aspects of employment. EEO including Disability/Protected Veterans
Posted on February 10, 2021.